The serious picture of low back pain that affected President Alberto Fernández earlier this week He underwent surgery this Thursday to perform a root block, practice that I do in the Otamendi Sanatorium the doctor mario diezand since it is an outpatient practice, the President He returned around 7:00 p.m. to the Olivos Residence.
A brief release of the Presidential Medical Unit limited itself to highlighting that the intervention had been completed, indicating only that Fernández continue in Olivos with the corresponding controls. The root block, which consists of injecting specific medications between the discs that cause pain, has as its primary objective to get the President out of the acute crisis, with the severe pain that a herniated disc brings with it, and if the effects are prolonged In time, by preventing the problem from advancing, the fundamental solution can be avoided, which is already complete surgery, seeking to replace the cartilaginous discs that “cushion” and prevent rubbing of the vertebral discs.
Although Alberto Fernández had initially said that the infiltration took place on Friday, that step was completed this Thursday, and it should be noted that the President plans to travel to the Dominican Republic next Friday to attend the Ibero-American Summit.
The medical report released by the Presidency on Tuesday night had indicated that in the same Otamendi the head of state “underwent the corresponding studies, evidencing a lumbar disc herniation. For this reason, a scheduled root block was produced in 48/72 hours”, that is, an intervention that aims to achieve a lasting improvement in pain “through the use of anti-inflammatory steroids (corticosteroids)”.
I know exactly then that you had to wait 48 hours until the blockade because the president takes anticoagulants as a result of the lung condition he suffered in 2019 and to perform the procedure it is necessary to cut off their effect. “The pain subsided, but I have to limit my mobility,” Alberto Fernández said then about his state of health.
The president spoke with Pedro Sánchez
Among his activities this Thursday, President Alberto Fernández held a telephone communication this afternoon with his counterpart from the Government of Spain, Pedro Sánchez, as a topic prior to the XXVIII Ibero-American Summit of Heads of State that will be held on the 24th and 25th March in the Dominican Republic.
Presidency highlighted in a statement that “Both leaders discussed the Forum of Progressive Governments, which will take place after the Ibero-American biennial meeting, and analyzed the joint work agenda for this year, which will have a summit of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States and the European Union on July 17 and 18 in Brussels”.
They also discussed “the current situation of the relationship between the Mercosur regional bloc and the European Union after the meeting of the Chief Negotiators of the Agreement that took place in Buenos Aires on March 7 and 8.” Within the framework of the Summit, Alberto Fernández has already agreed on bilateral meetings with Pedro Sánchez; with the President of Chile, Gabriel Boric, and with the King of Spain, Felipe VI.
You may also like