One of our most anticipated upcoming movies that Netflix has in the works is The Electric State which is being developed and directed by The Russo Brothers. Here’s a rundown of everything you need to know about the upcoming 2024 Netflix movie starring Millie Bobby Brown and Chris Pratt and which is in production as of October 2022.
The Electric State it’s spent years in development before coming to Netflix, so before we delve into what we know about the movie, here’s a quick rundown of the movie’s timeline so far:
- The book was published in December 2017.
- The Russo brothers won the options for the science fiction novel in december 2017with Andy Muschietti (That) he sought out the director’s seat and Barbara Muschietti set out to produce.
- He the project was sold to Universal in December 2020 with Millie Bobby Brown as the lead, Russo Brothers as director, and Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely as writers. It was planned for a theatrical release.
- We exclusively report that Netflix is considering taking over the project in June 2022.
- Netflix officially gets the project in 2022, with an announcement in late June 2022.
the russo brothers they are directing the film and are the duo behind the production company AGBO.
Joe and Anthony Russo are best known for their work on Marvel’s The Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. They have also directed several projects over the years, including the recently released Netflix action movie, the gray man.
The couple is working on at least 7 more projects for Netflix, including Extraction 2, After midnight, the hoaxY the gray man 2.
Christopher Mark Y Stephen McFeely they are writing the project and serving as executive producers. sarah finn Y Tara Feldstein serve as casting directors on the project.
The film will have a whopping budget of $200 million, which matches the budget allocated to the Russo brothers’ previous blockbuster for Netflix, the gray man.
What The Electric State on Netflix about?
The film is an adaptation of Simon Stålenhag’s book of the same name (although it was previously known as Passagen). Stålenhag is behind other well-known books, such as tales from the loop Y deluge stuff.
Here’s a summary of the story (courtesy of good reads), which is expected to be largely followed by the upcoming film:
In 1997, a teenage runaway and her yellow toy robot travel west through a strange America. The ruins of gigantic combat drones litter the countryside, along with the discarded trash of a declining high-tech consumer society. As her car nears the edge of the continent, the world outside the window seems to be falling apart faster and faster, as if somewhere beyond the horizon, the hollow core of civilization has finally collapsed.
Who is in the cast of Netflix’s The Electric State?
millie bobby brown was attached to the project in December 2020 and reportedly claims that will continue to be the case for Netflix.
Brown is, of course, best known for her role on Netflix’s Stranger Things, but she’s also worked on the Godzilla franchise and the returning Enola Holmes. That’s in addition to some of the other upcoming projects the actress has on Netflix.
Talking to Collider on why he took the role, Brown said:
“…the fact that they loved me only made me love them even more. And getting the opportunity to make this film with them has been an incredible experience, and it’s been a great collaborative effort. It feels like you’re really working with, I mean, a real, really experienced, experienced team. Their crew is incredible, the directors are incredible, obviously, and I have an incredible cast to be with.”
On August 11, Netflix unveiled the full cast with the actors and actresses who will appear and a couple who will lend their voices to the film.
- chris pratt (Guardians of the Galaxy)
michelle yeoh (Everything everywhere at once, Crazy Rich Asians, The Witcher: Blood Origin)
- stanley tucci (The Devil Wears Prada, The Hunger Games)
- jason alexander (The wonderful Mrs. Maisel, Seinfeld)
Michelle Yeoh notably left the cast in November 2022.
On the voice talent side:
- Brian Cox (Succession)
- jenny slate (Marcel the Shell with his shoes on, parks and recreation)
In November 2022, as part of a big Variety profile on AGBO, we got the news that four more big names had joined the cast:
- Giancarlo Esposito (the mandalorian, breaking bad) will play Marshall, a “robotic drone manned by Esposito’s character remotely and tasked with hunting down the robot that helps Brown’s character on his quest.”
- Ke Huy Quan (Everything everywhere at once) will play a doctor. She replaced Michelle Yeoh.
- anthony mackie (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, black mirror) will play a sentient robot who is the partner of Pratt’s character.
- billy bob thornton (Fargo, the gray man, Goliath) will play a sentient civil war robot.
We also know that they will be casting the roles of Christopher and Young Michelle in early June 2022.
norman woody He will play the role of Christopher, who is described as a 6-year-old secondary boy with an active imagination and bright beyond his years.
Young Michelle is a brave, intelligent and loving 8-year-old girl with a strong bond with her younger brother.
Rounding out the cast in various supporting roles include:
- maiden gabrielle as Penny Pal
- Martin Klebba like brother
- joe oats Will play President Bill Clinton
- david-alexander like dave
- Katelin Chesna as a hospital doctor
- rory keane in a supporting role
- katherine romel in a supporting role
When will production start in The Electric State for netflix?
When we first reported on the title, we noted that production was scheduled to begin in October 2022. However, in its initial announcement, Netflix only confirmed that production would begin in the fall of 2022.
It appears that he has been given an expanded filming schedule, with reports suggesting that filming will take place between mid-October 2022 and wrap up sometime between February 2023 (according to Production Weekly), while others report that the film may not finish until April 2023.
The movie is being filmed in atlantaGeorgia.
We knew that filming was underway in early October 2022 through a couple of tweets from the Russo brothers and their production company.
On October 4, the Russo brothers posted a photo (from their Twitter account, which no longer exists) of a script on set.
AGBO then tweeted on October 7:
“The AGBO team behind the scenes during the first week of production: directors Joe and Anthony Russo, co-writers Stephen McFeely and Chris Markus, and producers Jake Aust and Mike Larocca”
This production schedule described above means that the gray man 2 probably won’t start production until the middle of next year and means that Strange things Season 5 likely won’t start anytime soon.
The film operates under the working/production title of “STORMWIND.”
—Matty K (@mckramer) November 29, 2022
On November 5, 2022, it was reported that a crew member had died while filming in an “off-set car accident”.
in a statement on Instagramthe russo brothers said:
“The Electric State production family lost a valued member of the production team yesterday. We express our deepest condolences to his family and friends. We love our team like family. And this is devastating news for all of us.”
Filming on Netflix The Electric State It is expected to end in April 2023.
When The Electric State Will it premiere on Netflix?
was revealed in a Variety interview with the Russo brothers were watching a 2024 Netflix release date for the movie.
It is unclear if there will be a full or limited theatrical release for the title.
are you wanting to see The Electric State on netflix? Let us know in the comments.